TERE! Привет!
Well, this is it! I go home and hug my family and friends this Thursday! I am so excited. I also am so grateful to end my mission in joy. Sister Goodell and I are so grateful to God for "His unspeakable gift." (2 Cor. 9:15, Bible) I recognize that it is rare for two missionaries who started together also to have the chance to finish together. I am humbled to experience that with Sister Goodell!
The work:
Since Sister Goodell and I are both leaving this week, our work for the last three weeks has been unique. We have been finding people, then immediately introducing them to our other missionary friends so they can teach the people after we leave. God has been so good in placing so many in our path to pass off to the other missionaries to teach. SIXTEEN people we have found on the streets and busses in the past three weeks have wanted to meet with us again! Three of them even came to church this week! Every day, we thank God for the people He has placed in our path.
We met one young man on the street, and he wanted to meet two hours later with us and the elders to talk more. We had a cool, deep discussion sitting outside of a cafe in old town. The young man had not prayed since he was 14 years old. After our conversation about praying, we invited him to start praying again. He said, "Yes, I will try that! I will look for what changes come into my life because of it." We promised him changes WOULD come. He is so cool!! I know God placed us all together for a reason!
We planned to meet with one woman in a playground behind the church building. She was nervous about meeting in the church building for some reason. However, 10 minutes after we started talking at the playground, it started pouring rain. We all ran into the church building for shelter. As soon as we sat down to continue our lesson in the church building, it stopped raining and the sun started shining. We missionaries smiled as we realized that God caused a storm to get us inside the church building to teach our friend there. The church building has a special, peaceful spirit in it. That is why we prefer teaching people there!
I have grown so close to Sister Hess and Sister Hawks. Most of the people we have been finding and introducing to other missionaries are young, Lithuanian girls. Hence, the Lithuanian-speaking Sisters have joined us for countless lessons. I have loved teaching with them!!!
Sunday was full of lots of goodbyes to members and friends here. I am SO grateful to have served in Lithuania to meet these strong people! Like in Estonia, most of the members here are pioneers. This woman was one of the first in Lithuania to be baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Я люблю её.
We had a 2-meter long pizza for our last P-day!
Culture:
- It is against the law to "manipulate your mobile device" while crossing the street. Meaning, if you are talking on the phone, you put the phone down as you cross the street.
- Lithuania celebrated their independence day this week! Bus rides were free!
This marks the center of Eastern Europe.
Lithuanian cake!
On the 4th of July, Sister Christensen came to have a final exchange with us! Sister Christensen, Sister Goodell, and I all started our missions together, so it was SOO fun to have one final day together.
We had watermelon and made Oreo milkshakes to celebrate America’s Fourth of July!!
Funnies:
- As we bought milk this week, we realized it expires after we do...(meaning it expires after we go home to America). Täitsa lõpp!
- I sat across from a woman on the bus, and she promptly got up and moved to the opposite end of the bus. I chuckled, realizing that I will kinda miss the outright rejection you receive as a missionary. Daily rejection has helped me grow faith in the Savior Jesus Christ. The servant (me) is no greater than the Master (Him), and the Master was rejected by most everyone He tried to teach. I have grown empathy for the Savior. He has taught me how to "have great joy and be exceedingly glad...when men persecute and say all manner of evil against [me] falsely for [Christ's] sake." (3 Nephi 12:11-12, Book of Mormon)
- As we made a cool video about the Church of Jesus Christ IN RUSSIAN, it started raining on us! Go check out the video on my Facebook!
Spiritual thought:
I would like to share my testimony that I know that God is a merciful God of miracles. I know He has placed me in specific situations, areas, and companionships throughout my mission to prepare me for the many responsibilities which will come to me. I have trusted Him and followed His guidance. Grace by grace, I will continue becoming the person He wants me to become.
Do I have regrets from my mission? No. Satan has tried making me regret things, but I hold fast to the knowledge that I have repented every day for the things I have done incorrectly, and I have felt forgiveness from God. God is forgiving and merciful to the repentant. God is patient. God is kind.
I know I am a daughter of God. He loves me, and I love Him. I know we are all God's children. I know Jesus Christ lives. He is our Savior and Redeemer. As His representative, I testify that this is His Church. We are His people. He loves us!
I so testify in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Trust in the Lord. Choose joy! Find peace.
Õde Smith-Driggs
Сестра Смит-Дригс
"And they did land upon the shore of the promised land. And when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they bowed themselves down upon the face of the land, and did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them."
Ether 6:12, Book of Mormon
















No comments:
Post a Comment