Thursday, January 31, 2019

BAPTISM!!!


TERE!! (written Jan. 28, but posted Jan. 31 on her one year anniversary)


WOW I LOVE Tallinn! It’s getting colder here in Estonia!! I took this picture when it was -17 °C. (1.4 °F). I love serving here in Tallinn, and I’m learning more and more Russian every day with my Russian-speaking companions!


I love Sister Mischenko!

The work:

Well, OBVIOUSLY this week was a great one because one of our investigators got BAPTIZED!!! She started investigating the Church almost 4 weeks ago when Sister Tullis was here in Tallinn. She is an Estonian, so Sister Goodell and Sister Mischenko cheered Sister Tullis on as she taught the investigator in Estonian (because they don’t speak Estonian). I moved here to beautiful Tallinn on Wednesday and Sister Tullis moved to Pärnu. So I was here as we helped the investigator finish preparing to be baptized and to receive the Holy Ghost. It was such a precious four days helping her. She is SO amazing!! We are already great friends!! When I asked her how she felt after she received the gift of the Holy Ghost, she said, "Peaceful. I’m not thinking badly anymore or thinking about the bad things I have done in my past. I am just thinking about the path forward." Amazing. She was smiling from ear to ear. We went to breakfast the morning of her baptism. 

Pancakes!

She was baptized on the 26th floor of a hotel here, and the view was BEAUTIFUL!! 


“...how beautiful are [these waters] to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever.” Mosiah 18:30




We are teaching so many people right now! We found a lot of people this week from our service at the food bank. There was one girl who walked in with a yellow beanie. Elder Bunker was the greeter at the door, and he talked to her for a second, then came over to me and said, "Get her number and invite her to meet with you!! If you don’t get her number, I will." Haha we got her number :) We will be meeting this week, and she is so excited!! We also met with a cool Ukrainian man this week, and with a woman who hangs up our coats at the library! Both of them are very fun and quirky, and we are excited to continue meeting with them!


This week, we as a companionship and district in Tallinn, set some MAJOR goals to teach repentance and baptize converts. As a companionship, we made some goals and plans, then prayed and asked God to accept our efforts and make them enough. On that very same day, we ended up setting up 8 lessons with new potential investigators. Miracle. As a district, we are holding a continual fast. Meaning, one companionship at a time will always be fasting. For example, Elder Bunker and Elder Black fasted for 24 hours until Saturday at 3:45. Then we knelt and prayed at 3:45 to start our 24 hour fast. When we finished our fast on Sunday, Elder Mateer and Elder McQuivey started their 24 hour fast...so on and so forth. IT IS SO POWERFUL to be fasting as a district. I am positive that God will magnify our humble efforts. As we continue to pray for humility and show God how much we want to help people come unto Christ, I know He will magnify those humble efforts.

MIRACLE seeing Elder and Sister Foley on the street...
I served with them in Ukraine back in July, and they were here in Tallinn for the weekend visiting!

Funny:


We boiled hot water, and threw it out the window! Sure enough, it froze immediately to ICE. SUPER COOL. SUPER COLD! (Mom comment: Don't worry, they checked below.)

Culture:


Estonians know how to tie scarves....like holy cow. I have been trying for so long to figure out the way they look so stylish. Sister Nelson and I in Tartu tried to learn how to tie our scarves the way they do....it turned out all right hahaha. 

Making meat patties at our investigator's home!

Beautiful!

Spiritual thought:

I started the Book of Mormon over again this week with a focus on how obedience+sacrifice=faith. I loved what I read in 1 Nephi 1:1 this week. “I Nephi . . . having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.” 

The prophet Nephi in the Book of Mormon went through a LOT of trials. But he still praised God through it all. And he was obedient and sacrificed through it all. His faith is amazing.

I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and the joy it has brought into my life and the lives of so many others. I am grateful to share God’s love with those on the streets every day here in Estonia!

Ma armastan Jeesust Kristust nii väga, ja ma tean, et Ta armastab teid ka. Ma olen nii tänulik Tema eest!

Trust in the Lord. Choose joy. Find peace.
Õde Smith-Driggs

Psalm 46:10  - “Be still, and know that I am God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment